Top 10 Workplace Safety Tips For All Employees
Safety and Training |
By Columbus McKinnon Training |
Jan 01, 2019
A safe working environment is important to everyone, regardless of the company, industry or job. To kick off the new year, here are the Top 10 Workplace Safety Tips for all employees:
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings: Know the particular hazards of the workspace to avoid potentially hazardous situations.
- Keep Correct Posture To Protect Your Back: If you work at a desk, keep your shoulders in line with your hips to avoid back problems. Lift properly, avoiding stooping and twisting.
- Take Regular Breaks: Many work-related injuries occur because a worker is tired, burned out and not alert to their surroundings. Regular breaks help you stay fresh on the job. One trick to staying alert is to schedule the most difficult tasks when your concentration is best, like first thing in the morning.
- Use Tools And Machines Properly: Take the proper precautions when using tools and never take shortcuts, which is a leading cause of workplace injury.
- Keep Emergency Exits and Equipment Shut-offs Easily Accessible: In case of an emergency, you’ll need quick, easy access.
- Report Unsafe Conditions To Your Supervisor: Your supervisor needs to be informed about any workplace safety hazards or risks so they can take steps to make them safe for you and your coworkers. Report all near-miss situations.
- Use Mechanical Aids Whenever Possible: Instead of attempting to carry or lift something that’s really heavy to save time, take the extra minute to use a hand truck, cart, hoist or forklift.
- Stay Sober: Around three percent of workplace fatalities occur due to alcohol and drugs.
- Reduce Workplace Stress: Stress can lead to depression and concentration problems, so work to reduce its creation.
- Wear the Correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): PPE like hard hats, safety goggles, gloves or a full-face shield greatly reduce the risk of workplace injury.
These simple initiatives can go a long way to make your workplace a safe environment for everyone.